Saturday, September 8, 2012

Favor

There comes a time for every hunter when he must call in a favor from a friend, or join up with another in order to take down the big game.  For me, it is no different.  While I am, like all Proxies, stronger, faster, and harder to kill than most humans (and Runners, for that matter), I am not Special beyond that.  Even my Sight is something other Proxies possess in some way, and is not unique to me.

There are others in my vocation that spring immediately to mind whenever the word 'Proxy' is uttered in the context of Father's Children, others who are far more powerful and famous than myself (though I did notice earlier I've received some traffic from a forum, where it was speculated based on this post that I had run into a Doll; a strange feeling to realize that either one of my subscribers is a forumite, or there are people watching this blog more carefully than I would have imagined).  I am not one of them.  I am simply a Proxy.  Not a Devil.  Not a Star.  Just a Proxy.

I have no doubt Redlight could crush this little girl beneath his heel.  I have no doubt MorningStar, or whatever he's calling himself now, could do the same, as he seems to have an aversion to dying that I cannot help but admire.  I, however, have been thoroughly trounced again and again by her.  Therefore, my course of action is clear:  I need to call in a favor, either from an old friend or Father Himself.

As I have no friends, it would seem I'll be running to Father once again.  I had hoped I was beyond this sort of weakness.  I was certain I was stronger.  But no matter.  I will have to accept my weakness, weather Father's scorn, and try to climb back up onto my pedestal after I've put this whole ordeal behind me.

6 comments:

  1. ...Seeing as I've placed a tracking beacon on my current target, I'd be more than willing to assist you if it meant making possible contact with the wooden girl. If you wish to discuss this in private, contact me at voiceofthecollective@gmail.com

    - Jack the Ripper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've other arrangements to make first, but we'll see. I may take you up on your offer yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know that I'm willing to help as well, Murkrow
    theknitwolf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll refer you to my above response. I'll make the necessary arrangements first, and request assistance if need be. I won't assume the offer is up indefinitely, however.

      Delete
  4. I wish you all the luck. It looks like you will need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reluctant to believe in luck over skill, but I thank you anyways.

      Delete